Gorgeous Creatures can facilitate the repair of your possum fur throw, blanket or fur coat in New Zealand only.
Each project is unique depending on the age of the fur and the issues like split or perished skins, holes, weak areas of leather, dry and dull matted fur, furs that need to be replaced etc.
Not all furs can be repaired, in fact many of the fur throws that we see are well beyond any help.
Sometimes a possum fur throw has simply worn out beyond repair and it is better to buy a new one. If your possum fur throw or blanket is more than 10 years old then it might not be able to be repaired of worth repairing.
We can't quote or estimate until our furrier has seen the fur throw or blanket and the cost for this review is $50 (this covers the courier to and from our furrier and a small amount of time to assess the situation and work out a estimated price for the repair).
Sometimes we need to open the throw up to see what is really happening inside before we can quote.
Expect to pay a minimum of NZ$150 as a starting point (plus the $50 quote fee) for a minor repair like a few split seams. But this can increase to around $450-$650 or more if the repairs are extensive and some fur pelts need to be replaced completely.
Repairs are done during quiet times but new orders for things like new possum fur blankets take first priority, so there can sometimes be a long wait for repairs, sometimes up to 6 months.
A fur coat or jacket repair will cost about NZ$150-$350 to repair. But again this will be priced on a case-by-case basis depending on what is required.
Most of this cost is manual labour. Old fur coats or jackets are often too brittle to repair.
Once a fur coat smells musty there is nothing that can be done to rescue it other than airing in a shaded place, never put fur in direct sunlight. Or a fur coat or jacket can be dry-cleaned by a specialist fur cleaner if the garment is not too fragile.
Issues that we often see in old possum fur throws and blankets:-
- Fur skins splitting open along the seams
- Fur skins spitting and tearing in the middle of the pelt (the leather is perished - this can not be repaired)
- Weak leather that is disintegrating and brittle and easily pulls apart
- Fur that is dull and dry looking
- Fur that has faded in colour (we can't do anything to help sorry - fur can not be re-dyed)
- Fur that is knotted and matted
- Fur that is sticky with food and drink spills
- Fur that animals have urinated on and the leather has rotted or it smells
- Fabric lining that is dirty and needs cleaning or replacing
- Insect damage
What we can do to help fix your old possum fur throw or blanket:-
- Suggest an Auckland based dry-cleaner and gift you a NZ$10 discount voucher (NZ only)
- Replace or remove and clean the fabric backing
- Replace a few fur pelts (it is best to use pelts from your existing fur throw by removing a row, and then use those furs to replace any that can not be repaired - new fur pelts would stand out too much and make the rest of the throw look terrible - we could never match the colours of new pelts to old pelts)
- Brush up the furs to fluff them up and remove knots
- Clean the fur with special fur techniques and treatments
- Use a special silicon spray treatment to restore some shine and de-tangle
- Reinforce seams so they will be less likely to split again
- Check the fur throw for other issues that you may not be aware of yet